Thursday, June 25, 2009

1958-2009


This may be out of synch with some of the other things we do on this site. But I couldn't live with myself if I didn't use this outlet to say goodbye to the man who basically invented the music video and pop music.

As a little kid, the one tape I used to watch over and over again was the making of "Thriller." It was my favorite movie at the time and if I had that Beta machine to this day I would still be watching it. In fact, the first record I ever owned was Thriller. It came out when I was one year old and to this day I remember the words to every song on the album.

Now, whether or not you want to believe this, Michael Jackson was, is, and forever will be an American icon. Myself, I have always been of the mind that we as people have to gauge the artist and the personal lives of people on their own merit. Do I think the man had his hands in some underoos? To be honest, I really don't care. The guy was weird. He had a fucked up childhood, that wasn't his fault. It's common knowledge that his dad took his childhood from him, and he spent the rest of his life trying to get it back, who wouldn't do that? But you show me another person who can live as a recluse since 2005 and still make headlines up until he died. No matter what he did, where he was, or what was going on, people would write about it because this guy was a big deal to all of us. Years will pass after this day, but no matter what comes to pass, there will never be another Michael Jackson, and if you ask any pop idol today, I'm sure they'd take the time to thank Michael Jackson for giving them a job.

So, as a huge fan of his, I think I'd be remiss not to mention when one of my heroes goes away. God only knows that Rock 'N Roll Heaven is the only place he could have gone where people will once and for all leave the dude alone.

And into eternity brother, goodbye and farewell:

"When the world is on your shoulders
Gotta straighten up your act and boogie down
If you cant hang with the feeling
Then there aint no room for you this part of town
cause were the party people night and day
Livin crazy thats the only way

So tonight gotta leave that nine to five upon the shelf
And just enjoy yourself
Groove, let the madness in the music get to you
Life aint so bad at all
If you live it off the wall
Life aint so bad at all
Live your life off the wall..."
Off The Wall - 1979

No comments: